Skip to main content

Featured Post

Scrap your Summer

Join me on the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog for a Scrapbook Layout...?  Oh yeah... I went all scrappy for this post.  I am sharing my NEW about to release TINBIT TRAVELS Collection with Wild Whisper!    Swing by the    Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog  for a full tutorial!   PIN IT   EAT. SLEEP. CRAFT. {repeat}

Published 1902

It all started with an old book published in 1902.  My FIL has a stack of these old books and was happy to let me take a couple.  I love this book on Capitalism and not something I would read so it makes the perfect art project.

 With a lot of direction from one of my closest creative friends Julia of Paradise Lost.  


A couple of weeks ago I ripped out half of the pages and glued about 5 pages at a time together.  Allowing for room to load with embellishments, die cuts and findings.  Prep the pages with Gesso and add some colour with distress crayons.  The Trellis stencil is used in spots.

I found this old postcard in an old photo album.  I used my Xyron Creative Station to attach it to the thick page.  There was some scribble on it so I attach an old photo of Mr. & Mrs. Smith from 1945 over it.  I am thinking of adding a 1945?  


It's hard not to over do it.  So I walked away...


Julia let me borrow some clear gesso so I left some spots clear.


Dapper Mr. & Mrs. Smith, 1944.  I wanted to add more to the Post Card but it's original and I did not want to cover up the original.


For a pop of colour and texture a Wildflowers 2 flower.


Page 2...1902


There is a huge stack of the pages I ripped from the book all musty and worn.  I cut various pieces and layered a collage with them.


I layered the mini wildflower stencil and texture paste.


More flowers...


A peek of the flourish stencil.


The front page showing the Publisher and date published.


Bound with string... The first of many!



I had so much fun just creating freely.  I love the must smell of these pages and I am excited to create more pages whenever the mood!  

SERIOUSLY... This book is 115 years old!  Much respect when touching these pages!

A Vintage Journey- All Aboard
Country View Challenges- Inspired by Tim Holtz
 Simon Says Stamps Monday- Make your own Background
Creative Carte Blanche- Numbers, Numbers, Numbers
Stamplorations- Mixed Media using Stencils

 photo NWD Sig.png
 photo EM_1.png

Comments

  1. What a wonderful old book project Nicole - great colors, stencils and page design! Thanks for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful journal spread, Nicole! You did a fabulous job! I love everything vintage, especially when it tells a story, so I love that you used the year 1944 for number! I'm glad you didn't cover up the postcard either as it is a wonderful photo. Great background technique too! Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, that's a great way to use an old book as a journal. I hadn't thought of that. I really like how you used the trellis stencil. And the background goes so well with the flowers. It is always fun to see your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Nicole, this is so beautiful! I love that you used an old book, the pops of colour are wonderful and I love that old photo too.

    Thanks so much for joining in this month at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous vintage project Nicole with a fabulous photo and wonderful techniques. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Respect! Nicole I wouldn't have dared alter such a vintage book with ,like you say, such delicate pages. You've done a great job and thanks for sharing the process . The photo is a an absolute treasure.
    Thanks for getting on board our 'Anything goes' challenge over at A vintage Journey x

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome pages and so much stunningly beautiful time stuff - love this! Thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges and good luck! Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how your project turned out. I like how you added the wildflowers. Thanks for sharing your vintage project with STAMPlorations mixed media challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your spread, so many details and everything goes together perfectly. Thank you for joining STAMPlorations March Mixed Media Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ADORE this!!! thanks for playing along with us at STAMPlorations mixed media March challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts