Skip to main content

Featured Post

Scrap your Summer

Join me on the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog for a Scrapbook Layout...?  Oh yeah... I went all scrappy for this post.  I am sharing my NEW about to release TINBIT TRAVELS Collection with Wild Whisper!    Swing by the    Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog  for a full tutorial!   PIN IT   EAT. SLEEP. CRAFT. {repeat}

DIY Metallic Embossed Gears

HAPPY NATIONAL SCRAPBOOK DAY!!!!

Exploring Mixed Media means trying anything you want and throwing it at your project.  Mixed media is about layering, using different mediums and having fun!  All while making a mess.

This canvas can be found in the Spring Issue of Creative Scrapbooker Magazine in the Technique Tasters column.  Here is a more detailed step out of the project.



Start with collecting some goodies and findings.  Apply a thin layer of white gesso to an 8x10 canvas and set aside to dry.  Use a Versamark pen for precision powder application on the chipboard corner gears.


While the embossing powder is still hot and soft stamp Fallen Blossom stamp to created a subtle embossed image of the stamp. Fun eh...


Emboss the Jalopy die... the oil rubbed powder is perfectly vintage for this jalopy!


The Southern Ridge trading Co. Med Chipboard gears are inked with some distress paint.  I sprinkled a little charred gold on the large gear, heat and colour with distress crayon to fill in the holes.  It becomes pitted looking.


Don't they look pretty!!!  Time to grab that dried canvas and scribble with crayons.

Remove some of the crayon with a baby wipe.  While it's damp smear with your palm.  That's some good smudging!


Layer stencils and start removing some of that crayon!  FUN PART!!!!


See... fun!  Now start collaging with paper bits and ephemera.


I stamped the cherry blossom stamps from the Fallen Blossom  set.  Make the stamping random.


Edging and smudging until your fingers hurt and add some hardware.


Oh how I love these corner gears all embossed with metallic powders!


Layer those Southern Ridge gears.


The Jalopy looks amazing with one of my favourite powders, oil rubbed!


The stenciling, stamping and collaging give it that mixed media look.  The pitted gear looks like it was plucked from the ocean.


I love to collage!


Embossing the chipboard gears adds a lot of pop!


I hope breaking down the steps to this mixed media canvas gives you some ideas for your next mixed media project.  Using all these mediums and pulling them together just works!  Have fun and make a mess!

Click the images and links for all the products I used.



Comments

  1. I'm in LOVE I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great canvas Nicole, love the embossing and background stamping and the jalopy is fab. Have a lovely week . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love this project, so much time and effort, and it shows! really cool! I love your blog, it's so inspiring! Awesome job! you have inspired me to work with stencils a bit more and to keep playing with embossing powder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts