Skip to main content

Craft Organization; Part 1-Paper


Part One; Paper Storage
 
I have been thinking how I wanted to show you my little 8'x12' room  How I've organized and made it my own.  Although I'm not done yet I have made most of the progress.  Creating an effective use of space in a small room is vital.  I can't tell you how shocked people are when I tell them I don't have a BIG fancy studio.  That my room for the past 3 years has been an old desk, TV Stand and a used bookcase.  So, I decided the best way to show you is to break it down.  This way I won't miss anything and hopefully give you inspiration if you've been searching like me. 
 
I have spent 3 years in this room not wanting to do anything until I knew where I wanted things and how I wanted it to look.  I am not into the "craft room" look, stark white all things matching.  Neat and tucked behind cupboard doors.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Just not how I envisioned my "creative space".  I want an open feel where I can see all the things that inspire me and that I love.  I have spent countless hours searching unique ways to store, organize and create an inspirational environment.  I am no where near done but I think I'm well on my way. 
 
My 12x12 Paper
 
 I have approached my room much like I would a tag or project.  I have "crafted" my space.
There's those "white cubby's" I was just mentioning.  They have their place and work for our crafty needs.  I caved as mentioned in my "Mid Life Crisis" post.  But that doesn't mean I have to have white.  My husband built me this cabinet for these white cubby's to slide into.  I took it a step further by distressing the white with sand paper and walnut stain applied with a cloth.  Now it has a white wash look and I'm happier.
 
 
I don't have a lot of paper.  No one can believe it but I don't!  So I'm OK to mix it up.
 
 
You can see how I distressed the white right off then added a grungy look with walnut stain.  I labeled the slots to quiet my A Type side yelling at me. 
 
 
I am hoarding all these Bottle Brushed trees with my 12 Tags of Christmas Tag set.  My Winnie the Poo book ends are tucked with them at my husband's request. All in a wire basket.  More of that later. 
 
 
This whole thing is mounted up on the wall and into a load bearing beam I have running through my room.
 
 
My 8 1/2"x 11" paper. 
 
I used to have those Ikea Magazine holders and they were always falling over.  Then I found this off white paper holder all in one no falling over option.  It had a scratch on it so I asked for a discount, I paid $18 and I distressed it anyway;)
 
All my smaller paper in one spot and it doesn't knock over anymore.
 
There are 4 dividers.  I sanded the edges and created wear spots.  Then more walnut stain.
I wanted to have some fun. I used the TH Alpha Parts- Signmaker letters.  It just makes it more fun.  Not to mention it breaks up the big white space.  It makes you stop and look. A great inspiration point for me.
I used the metal "1/2" on a project last year, I think it was August 12 Tags of 2013?  Sometimes I'll grab from old projects if it fits a new one.  In this case it did!
 
All those Scraps!
 
I found these huge galvanised bins with the "chalk" label area already there.  These were a great find at $17 each.  I used my TH Stencils with chalk to make it more interesting.  And again I find myself crafting my space and not just crafting in it.
Now I have a deep bin to store those scraps.  A great way to dig through and find my goodies.
Here's my before, fresh white cubbies.  And before that my 12 x 12 was stacked in an old TV Stand.
My husband building my wood shelf for the white cubbies to store in.
 
After I stained with the walnut stain.  This whole storage cubby cost me $56. 
 
Another creative opportunity, using TH Pull Labels and some chit chat words.  Now, instead of a piece of wood it has a more vintage feel. 
 
 
There will be more to show you.  I still have a old desk coming to me, but I'm refinishing it.  I need warmer weather for that.  I have some great finds and unique ways I've used my crafty things to help me organize. 
 
In the end my room will have cost me about $700 to create.  I have shopped around at places that have that Restoration Hardware/ Pottery Barn look but on a Walmart budget.  And of course there's IKEA!  What a great resource.  I can't wait to show you my best find yet from Value Village!
 
Thanks for stopping by.  Stay Tuned!


Comments

  1. I love what you have done so far Nicole!!!!
    I love the vintage look it totally suits your style.
    Tim would be proud ;)
    Our rooms are about the same size, mine is about 7x13 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done!! love the labelsHave a great day
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK... so that was SOOOOOO fun!!!! Your crafty space is THE BOMB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what a great start! MORE MORE!! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you've done, and your lucky to have a DH that builds for you...(I have one too, and I don't know what I'd do without him!)
    I showed him your post, I think he sees more work coming his way, lol...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Jarred Florals

How's your summer so far?  Me... I am just returning from a long vacation from down south.  So I am probably folding a lot of laundry. TheXyronTeam andACCOare playing all week with staplers and cutters.  Which means anything goes creatively!  I am so thrilled to use their Guillotine Trimmer LiteI don't own one so this is super exciting... 10 papers at one time!  
(all supplies used is linked for your convenience)

Time to crack into my new Flower Jar stamps and Framelits dies and a whole lot of colouring.
Once the colouring was done I added a little touch of dimension to these teeny wildflowers with a stylus and water.  It's my first cut with the Guillotine Trimmer Lite, dang thats sharp.  Even for small cuts.
I ran the stitched circle cut through the Creative Station then used the Create a Sticker for the adorable teeny wildflowers.
The Pondering Words "WONDERFUL" cut is perfectly cut with the Guillotine Trimmer for this 3/4" cut.  I popped it on the edges …

Fall Colours

OK, I know, I know we are only half way through summer and already there are fall leaves on my blog!  I really couldn't help myself.  I mean... you know me! This week Xyron and Newton's Nook are teaming up for some... AWESOMENESS!  Of course I had to go for these gorgeous leafy stamps.  Can you imagine these embossed or in an art journal!  So many creative ways to make stuff.

I gathered some goodies including my Tag and Tie to make a Kraft Tag for the sentiment. A little bit of stamping and inking goes a long way.  

I stamped the wee pumpkin from the Falling for You set (linked below) and coloured with Stabilo Woody 3 in 1 pencils.  These are great for watercoloring too.  Yep, it happens from time to time... I fussy cut the pumpkins out.

I stamped the Beautiful Leaves stamp (linked below) with a blend of Oxide Inks.  Stamping again on inky scrap paper with large maple leaf... yep, more fussy cutting.  Oi...

More stamping on the background and then run through the Creative Sta…

Wanderlust

I am pretty sure I have the "Wanderlust" bug!  I wanted to try something different so I decided to try some texture paste on the cover.  The matboard is tough enough to handle some texture paste.  I used chalk paint and texture paste to decorate my cover instead of paper.


Cut the superstock paper to fir the journal, 8x8 scoring in the centre to create a page.  I used oxides and stenciling to create a dynamic page.
Die cutting on pattern paper for some great elements.  Love the brush and foam for those small dies Especially the Gearhead die!  
See, all those little bits popped right out!  More inking and layering for these pages.  Making life easier with the Creative Station and these smaller detailed dies.
Lets make some trophy's!  I coated them with hammered metal embossing powder and coloured some distress crayons to distress it.
I cut and inked the Heart and Soul flower with more pattern paper.
I love the Ornate Frame #2creating some great vintage elements for this …