Skip to main content

Featured Post

Scrap your Summer

Join me on the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog for a Scrapbook Layout...?  Oh yeah... I went all scrappy for this post.  I am sharing my NEW about to release TINBIT TRAVELS Collection with Wild Whisper!    Swing by the    Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog  for a full tutorial!   PIN IT   EAT. SLEEP. CRAFT. {repeat}

Soft Fallen Snow- Ornament Experiment

I have a new addiction and it's called Soft Fallen Snow.  I just got a small sample jar through Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.  I wanted to do some experimenting and see how this embossing powder is set apart from other's I have used.  I used it in a couple of ways to create some ornaments.
I am no expert and love all my powders for different reasons.  Here's how the powders I use compared for me.

Wendy Vecchi- Enamel finish coating everything, slight gloss.
Iced Enamel Relique Powders- Thick Enamel that creates a blotchy effect, slight gloss.
Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder- A grainy effect great for a distressed look, matte finish.
Stampin Up- A fine effect, detailed and glossy
Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Soft Fallen Snow Powder- A matte finish, all covering white powder with hints of glitter.  Goes slightly puffy when gently heated creating a textured snowy effect.

I had an idea... follow my tutorial.


Gather up a jar, tinsel twine, mini woodland tree and the mini trophy.  In order to get the mini trophy to fit I had to cut the handles.  Ink the woodland trees with evergreen bough distress spray stain.

To brighten the tree I added some twisted citron distress spray stain.  Crackle the glass coat the jar with Ranger's glue n' seal leaving a small oval peek window.  Set aside to dry.  This is a good time to make some tattered pinecones.

Check out how to make these pinecones and watch Tim's Video...this will help you master this die.  Ink the edges of the greens with some ground espresso.  Once the jar is dry coat with clear rock candy distress crackle to crack the class.  A great frosty effect.


I wanted to experiment with my Ranger distress paint picket fence and the Soft Fallen Snow embossing powder for the greens and pinecone tips.  Much to my surprise the 2 were a perfect pair.  On the craft mat I had left over distress paint so I rolled my tree in it.


Making sure I had a good coat of paint on the tree I then rolled it in the Soft Fallen Snow (you can sprinkle too) and WOW...it stayed in place.  You can heat lightly if you want.  Just pull the heat tool off for a few moments.  It doesn't need a lot of heat.


Time to antique the trophy.  I added poppyseed alcohol ink to the trophy for color.  A great way to "antique" it after you've colored it is to use some hand sanitizer.  Dab it on and this will dull and remove some of the alcohol ink.  I always keep hand sanitizer on my desk.


To create a snowy bottom use some fake snow from the dollar store or cotton balls hot glued to the lid..  I dabbed a little distress paint picket fence on the "snow" then I sprinkled some more soft fallen snow.  This adds a little shimmer and it's all about layers.


Hot glue the snowy tree into the vintage trophy, then onto the lid.  I added a mirrored star and inked some jingles with the left over alcohol ink pad.  Attach the lid to the jar then some twine attached to the top.


This is when you add all your greens and tattered pinecones to the top.  Embellish with little red jingles and Believe Charm.  I snapped the ends off so I could mount it on the jar lid.  Wrap the tinsel twin around the lid then attach the Believe Charm.


Another quick ornament... Brushed Pewter on the mini skate blades.  Coat the skates with clear embossing ink and coat with the Soft Fallen Snow and lightly heat until it just puffs.  I wanted to see how it inks and yep, it inks great!  Add some embellishments and more twine to hang.


The finished Vintage Jar Ornament


Unlike glitter (which don't get me wrong can add amazing shimmer) the Soft Fallen Snow Embossing Powder adds a nice flocking easily visible through the crackled glass.


Creating the peek window is a fun way to create this ornament.  Placed on the tree with the lights behind will show off that crackle finish.


Here's why I love charms... You can ink them to go with your creations and you can alter them!  I snapped the ends off to go with my lid.  With the tinsel twine you can't even tell.


The tattered pinecone, greens and red jingles are the perfect way to top off this vintage ornament.


Look how adorable these mini skates turned out.


I love that you can ink up Soft Fallen Snow and the barely there puffy texture is outstanding.  


The Mini Victorian Snowflake Charm is so pretty tucked behind the twine bow.


What a pretty vintage Christmas Ornament Set.


These 2 ornaments turned out so different using the Soft Fallen Snow Embossing Powder.  I love the full coverage and matte look even with a little shimmer.  If you prefer no glitter you can also use the Ultra Puff White Embossing Powder.
Stop by Emerald Creek Craft Supplies to see their whole line of embossing powders they manufacture.  Plus all the other cool stuff you need for your holiday crafts.
Follow Emerald Creek Craft Supplies on...
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest

Challenge Time

Frilly and Funkie- Let there be Light (Glass Christmas Ornament)


 photo NWD Signature.png

Comments

  1. This is just beautiful. I love all your inking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great experiment with the Soft Fallen Snow EP Nicole, I like the idea that it puffs up a little - it looks fantastic on the mini skates! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Nicole, lovely texture from the embossing powder and love how versatile it is. Think I'm going to have to do a little shopping at Emerald Creek! Thanks for your great tutorial, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful vintage snow jar Nicole! Love the snow ep effect. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun wintery jar with lots of great techniques and lovely elements. Thanks for the step x step and for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both! They spread some wonderful pre-Christmas-magic!!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a clever way to use your paper crafts! Beautiful details!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts