Skip to main content

Featured Post

Scrap your Summer

Join me on the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog for a Scrapbook Layout...?  Oh yeah... I went all scrappy for this post.  I am sharing my NEW about to release TINBIT TRAVELS Collection with Wild Whisper!    Swing by the    Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog  for a full tutorial!   PIN IT   EAT. SLEEP. CRAFT. {repeat}

Tool Box Makeover

I spent my afternoon working on this AMAZING wood tool box.  My 16 year old son made this a couple months ago in his wood work class.  I snapped it up right away.  He's actually taking a University class 3 times a week for carpentry so I'm a proud Mom!!!!  OK, done gushing...

It's been sitting under my desk waiting for something to happen.  Today I decided it was time for a makeover with a few of my DecoArt stuff!  


 This tool box is made up of different wood, MDF and particle board.  This way the kids had an understanding of different materials.  In other words it needs something.


I picked up some Chalky Finish paint and started the first of 3 "thin" coats.


I painted the inside first making sure to make the layers thin.


Even though this various wood used are rough and uneven the DecoArt Chalky Finish paint is the perfect application for it.  It coats!


I wanted to add a Vintage Photo transfer.  I found Graphic Fairy!  OMG!!!! I printed this using my Laser Printer. 


I used some of my Golden Artist Color Gel.  Keep in mind, I have only done this once before.  So, I'm going down the rabbit hole if it were.


After it's dry add water and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then start removing the pulp.


Here's what I've learned...THIN amount of Gel for transferring the image. 


You can see it gets a little thick.  But that's OK.  I can work with it and grunge it up.  
ALL IS NOT LOST PEOPLE!


DecoArt Mixed Media has this amazing Antiquing Cream!  This is how I intend to draw the eye away from the "imperfections" during the image transfer.  Apply a small amount using your finger.


Let it dry...this doesn't take long.


Once it's dry take a damp cloth and gently buff.  The Antiquing Cream will start to age it.  


Be sure to seal the Antiquing Cream once you're happy.  I used DecoArts Ultra-Matte Varnish.  The Chalky Finish Paint is a matte finish so I don't want any sheen!  


A couple jars of product and an afternoon of getting inky and this Tool Box now has a Vintage Makeover.


Because I like things vintage looking and grungy I don't need the transferred image to be pristine. 
 Or at least that's my story!


I love all the images Graphic Fairy has on their site.  I'll be trying more transferring I'm sure.


The Antiquing Cream helps the tool box look worn and scuffed.


Even Chaos likes it.  Curious pup!


I think this will be perfect to bring along when I get the chance to teach some classes.  Filled with crafty goodies!


I'm not one to ever scrap a project...well almost never.  I like to roll with it when it's not turning out how you think.  I like that challenge of making the transfer work even when it's a disaster. 
Thanks for popping in and taking a peek!  I love projects and this one was so fun to make.  
 
 photo BlogPostsignature.png

Comments

  1. Way to go you on overcoming the happy accident! It looks absolutely super Nicole. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Nicole! Love the choice of colour and that transfer turned out fantastic! I've never had any luck with this technique! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way it turned out, very vintage and cool. I like it! Photo-transfers can be tricky...can't always count on the results being what you expect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever Son, clever Mum! Love what your Son built and really love how you finished it - brilliant job Nicole. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say you have a very talented son. And that it appears comes right from the Mama!! I love your well executed grunge sign. And it looks fabulously useful too. I don't think I've ever seen the antiquing crème. Hmmmm must put it on a search list. Not quite warm enough here for outdoor painting. But soon. Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts