Skip to main content

From Drab to Fab in 30 Minutes

Tissue Box Makeover...Crafting beyond Cards
 
Yep, that would be my guest bath toilet.  Now, before you think I have lost my blogging marbles there is a point.   I really dislike those tissue box covers/ cozies that sit on the toilet.  However, I dislike my favorite Eucalyptus smelling blue box even more!  So, I am caving and yes I picked up a wee wooden tissue box cover.  I'll show you how I made mine and it cost me $2.00!
 
What you'll need;
 
1. Unfinished Wooden Tissue Box Holder
2. Modge Podge (had it)
3. Favorite Paper (had it)
4. Sand Paper (had it)
5. Ink (had it)
 
{I really am the worst at taking step by step photo's...why do you stalk my blog again?}
 
So, I was at the $1 Store picking up an extension cord and happen to stumble down the crafty isle.  There it was, a tacky cheap wooden ugly tissue box holder.  Me and my crafty ways felt I could do something fabulous!  So it came home for the whopping cost of $2!
 
If you know me...and you know you do.  You know I try to find things as cheap as I can and make it into something that doesn't look cheap!  I used some stamps I have and my Cargo Number Stencil for the No 5.  Just stamp at will...
 
This paper I picked up at my LSS awhile back so I already had it on hand. You know you have fabulous paper you're hoarding for a little something special!  I measured each side of the box, cut the paper to match and glue it right on.  Then sand the edges smooth and ink away!  I sealed with a sealer but you can also seal with the modge podge.  I ran out:(
 
SEE TOLD YA SO! 
Much better right!  I'm still not a fan but if we must keep tissue it looks better in something I made than that ugly box it came in.
 
OK one more little thing I picked up to decorate. 
 
This one is more pricy.  I have these floating shelves in my basement and I wanted a focal point on the top shelf.  I picked up each hurricane glass from Walmart for just under $7 each.  The Vanilla Bean candles were $7 and the coffee beans (I used French Roast) came to about $5 per jar to fill, that's $19 each. 

 
Here are my 2 shelves with my scented candles displayed.  You can also change out the coffee for the season.  Nuts for the fall, berries or ornaments for the Holiday's, mini eggs for Easter?  For now my basement has a slight smell of fresh vanilla coffee.  So yummy!  You may have noticed some of the things I have posted on Canadian Nickel Scrap'n.  I've displayed on the shelves My Book Bundle, Halloween Pumpkin and My Family Sign.  The photo's of me and my husband (kissing to bug my kids, hehe) I printed on white cardstock in black and white and I already had the frames, so free!  The clock is a favorite, $50.
 
Hope this gave you an idea for your ugly tissue box! 
Photobucket

 

Comments

  1. great ideas and i will be now looking for a wooden tissue box..

    cathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous kleenex box...couldn't be more perfect...love the candles too! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it..you come up with the greatest ideas...i'll have to check out our local dollar store...tfs

    ReplyDelete
  4. TFS!!!great idea's will have to try the tissue box.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog thru Pinterest! I just bought two of those tissue holders myself to alter from Dollarama- only mine were 2 bucks a piece! Love the candles too...will need to make some myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Jarred Florals

How's your summer so far?  Me... I am just returning from a long vacation from down south.  So I am probably folding a lot of laundry. TheXyronTeam andACCOare playing all week with staplers and cutters.  Which means anything goes creatively!  I am so thrilled to use their Guillotine Trimmer LiteI don't own one so this is super exciting... 10 papers at one time!  
(all supplies used is linked for your convenience)

Time to crack into my new Flower Jar stamps and Framelits dies and a whole lot of colouring.
Once the colouring was done I added a little touch of dimension to these teeny wildflowers with a stylus and water.  It's my first cut with the Guillotine Trimmer Lite, dang thats sharp.  Even for small cuts.
I ran the stitched circle cut through the Creative Station then used the Create a Sticker for the adorable teeny wildflowers.
The Pondering Words "WONDERFUL" cut is perfectly cut with the Guillotine Trimmer for this 3/4" cut.  I popped it on the edges …

Fall Colours

OK, I know, I know we are only half way through summer and already there are fall leaves on my blog!  I really couldn't help myself.  I mean... you know me! This week Xyron and Newton's Nook are teaming up for some... AWESOMENESS!  Of course I had to go for these gorgeous leafy stamps.  Can you imagine these embossed or in an art journal!  So many creative ways to make stuff.

I gathered some goodies including my Tag and Tie to make a Kraft Tag for the sentiment. A little bit of stamping and inking goes a long way.  

I stamped the wee pumpkin from the Falling for You set (linked below) and coloured with Stabilo Woody 3 in 1 pencils.  These are great for watercoloring too.  Yep, it happens from time to time... I fussy cut the pumpkins out.

I stamped the Beautiful Leaves stamp (linked below) with a blend of Oxide Inks.  Stamping again on inky scrap paper with large maple leaf... yep, more fussy cutting.  Oi...

More stamping on the background and then run through the Creative Sta…

Wanderlust

I am pretty sure I have the "Wanderlust" bug!  I wanted to try something different so I decided to try some texture paste on the cover.  The matboard is tough enough to handle some texture paste.  I used chalk paint and texture paste to decorate my cover instead of paper.


Cut the superstock paper to fir the journal, 8x8 scoring in the centre to create a page.  I used oxides and stenciling to create a dynamic page.
Die cutting on pattern paper for some great elements.  Love the brush and foam for those small dies Especially the Gearhead die!  
See, all those little bits popped right out!  More inking and layering for these pages.  Making life easier with the Creative Station and these smaller detailed dies.
Lets make some trophy's!  I coated them with hammered metal embossing powder and coloured some distress crayons to distress it.
I cut and inked the Heart and Soul flower with more pattern paper.
I love the Ornate Frame #2creating some great vintage elements for this …